Choose a Schedule

In this Article
< All Topics
You are here:

Choose a Schedule

Once your courses are approved, you can choose your section and class schedule. This is enabled based on the posted schedule in the calendar of activities. Your Academic Adviser needs to approve your adjustment record before you can choose a schedule. If your adjustment status is “Pending Approval”, you can’t proceed to this step. Talk to your academic adviser about this.

Follow these steps:

  1. During enrollment, go to the Student Information System  and log in using your Infonet account.
  2. Click Adjustment Change Schedule under Menu.
  3. Read the Announcement and click Continue.
  4. Choose a schedule for each course. Pick a course and click Select Section. Section and schedule availability is on a first-come-first-served basis.
  5. Choose your desired section and click Save. The section and schedule you chose will show in the Online Adjustment Record. 
  6. If you want to delete a section, click Delete Section in the row corresponding to the course.
  7. Once done, click View Enrollment Record to see your temporary Student Enrollment Record.
  8. Sign out when you’re done.

You can still modify your schedule while the Change Schedule period is ongoing. When you enroll, your name will be on the tentative class list of the section you selected. You will be on the final class list once you have settled the enrollment fees. 

Can’t choose a section?

Follow these steps if you’re having problems choosing a section:

  • If you’re accessing the Student Information System on a mobile device, switch to a laptop or desktop computer for a better viewing experience. 
  • Check if it’s already the schedule for choosing a schedule; this feature is only available during the specified schedule. Changes in enrollment schedule are sent to BMail so always check your Inbox for updates.
  • Check if you have any pending clearance that you have to clear. Settle fees to the Finance Department and get a copy of your receipt by filling out the Official Receipt (OR) Request form or sending proof of your payment to
  • If you can’t log in to your Infonet account, reset your password or contact Helpdesk if you can no longer remember your recovery email address.
  • If you were on LOA or AWOL, go through the process of returning to Benilde. You can start with the enrollment process during the Late Enrollment period if you applied during the late returnee application schedule.
  • If you’re an international student, your Visa, ACR, or passport may have expired already, email
  • If you have already exceeded your maximum retention period, get in touch with your records associate.

Need further assistance?

Please submit a ticket.

Scroll to top